Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE)
Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) is the core of our operating philosophy at Feoso Oil (Malaysia). We apply HSSE in every aspect of our operations to achieve no accidents, no harm to people and no damage to the environment. Our commitment to our philosophy means that every employee of Feoso Oil is responsible for upholding the HSSE right.
- The care for physical and mental wellbeing has always been a priority for Feoso Oil (Malaysia).However, since COVID-19 has posed serious and new challenges, we have been working overtime to navigate and protect our workers from the virus. Stringent COVID-19 preventative measures have been implemented to minimise the spread of the virus and keep our people safe.
- We believe that everyone deserves to be treated with fairness and respect, and at Feoso Oil (Malaysia), we ensure that all workers are fully insured in the case of hospitalisation or if surgical matters arise. In accordance with our dedication to a fair and just workplace, we have gone above and beyond the minimum housing and amenities standards set out by the nation’s Ministry of Human Resources.
- Creating a safe and healthy workplace is our top priority as we believe that a safe business is an efficient business. At Feoso Oil (Malaysia), we value our people, equipping them with the necessary processes to navigate potential dangers that may occur during and outside of work. Our workers abide by a strict personal protective equipment (PPE) policy. This includes wearing safety helmets, goggles, gloves, steel toe shoes and others safety equipment while manoeuvring within the factory.
- As mentioned, accidents can happen outside of work.Thus, we have taken several actions to improve road safety for those driving in and out of the port in passenger vehicles. By enrolling all our staff in a defensive driving course, we protect them from the potential dangers that may arise in the hustle and bustle of the area.
- We understand the risk that potential hostile actions could harm our people and disrupt our operations. We take this seriously and continuously assess the situation. Our facilities are monitored by 24/7 CCTV alongside stationed guards to control any potential threats or theft. We are proud to announce that we have not faced any disruption to our operations. This could partly be due to the fact that we are located in a commercial-free trade zone guarded by the port authorities of Malaysia.
Our Sustainability Initiatives
At Feoso Oil (Malaysia), we aim to minimise the adverse impacts of our activities by prioritising the need to manage and understand any environmental sensitivities in the areas we operate. We work hard to balance the conservation of the environment and our business operations by implementing autonomous systems that reduce the amount of waste produced.
2021 will be the year we install 168 kWp of solar PV panels to push us into our largest energy initiative to date. Eventually, we aim to be able to generate enough renewable energy to power the plant and reduce our total carbon emissions. Once installed in September 2021, the solar PV panels will collectively generate about 213 MWh of clean energy per year, reducing approximately 143 tonnes of carbon emission into our atmosphere. The panels will span 17,000 square feet across the plant roof.
Having efficient effluent and waste disposal is essential in any manufacturing business regardless of the vertical. At Feoso Oil (Malaysia), we break down our waste into 4 different categories to be treated individually and accordingly.
Each individual waste is disposed of at a licensed waste contractor approved by the Department of Environment Malaysia (DOE). All the information with regards to individual waste is updated monthly through the DOE online database.
Noise and Air Quality
We spare no measure on keeping our facilities and people safe. Research shows that environmental stressors such as noise and air pollution contribute significantly to the global burden of cardiovascular disease. At Feoso Oil (Malaysia), the noise level report shows that the overall personal noise is confirmed below the stipulated government action limit of 85 dB. Besides, our air quality assessment report shows that the air was well within the Malaysian recommended air quality guideline. The results were within the range of 132 ug/m3 – 140 ug/m3, and the specification is 260 ug/m3.